Where do I even begin?
Steffany and I have been best friends since we were born. We grew up down the street from each other. We’re the kind of friends that doesn’t need to text or call every few days to check in. We just know that we’re best friends. When I got married in 2004, Steffany was serving and LDS mission. She wasn’t able to be my maid of honor.
Years go by… and I wait…
I have a baby, and Steffany was in the delivery room.
Years go by… and I wait…
What am I waiting for? I’m freaking waiting for our lives to align so that we can organically see each other more often. While I was busy with a husband and having kids, Steffany traveled the world. She lived in California, Washington DC, and lived a fabulous single life. All the while…
FINALLY! Finally she found this super rad dude. He was funny and a little edgy (which was not normal for Steff) and he absolutely and totally loved her. I was over the moon happy. Giddy from my head to my toes. I had waited for this day for SO many years.
And oh my! It was a BIG day!
K guys. I’ve been immersed in the Utah wedding world for over a decade. I know things.
I knew where to spend money and where to skimp. I know what translates in photos best and what can be spared. So here’s my two cents.
Where to spend your money
Photography and Bridal Gown are tied for number 1!
1. Bridal gown – You get what you pay for. I want fabric that looks like the freaking Greek Gods could have worn it. I want it to fit your body perfectly. AND NO WHITE. White photographs blue. Ivory, off white, cream, anything that’s not white is fabulous!
2. Professional Hair and Makeup – SO important! You might think you know how to do your hair and makeup but once you have it done professionally you’ll never do it again. Contour… fake lashes… delicious eyebrows. Oh my! Hire a professional. You won’t regret it!
3. His suit- I had Clay get a suit from H&M because in the past I loved the skinny fit on most men. In all truth, I wish I would have sent him to Perfectly Suited by Garth or Beckett and Robb to get a custom suit made.
4. Florals – Real yummy flowers make me swoon. I want my images to be drenched in delicious floral arrangements. OH! And book a designer that knows what they’re doing. Don’t depend on showing them a Pinterest photo to get the look you’re after. They need to have talent. For reals! Oh and don’t skimp on the bridesmaids bouquets. I can’t stand wimpy two flowered bouquets. It looks pathetic!
5. Venue- I want an outdoor evening garden reception. mmmm k? mmm k.
6. Bridesmaids and Groomsmen – These images are what stand out after the bride and groom images. Think outside the box with choosing attire for both bridesmaid and groomsmen. I’ve found asos.com is awesome for dresses and as always H&M has great skinny fit suiting for men. I would rather the groomsmen have matching suits. I’m not a fan of just the white shirt and tie. It looks incomplete.
7. Food and Cake – Usually this one is at the very top of the list. But the bulk of the images are based around the bride and groom and florals. I mean… if you’ve got the money… SPEND IT! YOLO!
I absolutely LOVED the vendors that I worked with. They were amazing!
Bridal Gown and veil – The Perfect Dress Bridal www.theperfectdress.com Designer – Maggie Sottero
Bridal hair pieces – Ivory and Blush www.ivoryandblush.bigcartel.com
Bride and Maid of Honor HMUA- Lindsay Lee www.lindsayleehair.blogspot.com
Bridal heels – Christian Louboutin www.us.christianlouboutin.com
Bridal earrings – Called to Surf www.calledtosurf.com
Groom’s suit and groomsmen suits- H&M www.hm.com
Groom’s tie and groomsmen ties – DAZI www.daziusa.com
Bridesmaids dresses – ASOS www.asos.com
Venue- The Gardens at Dry Creek- Lehi, Utah www.gardensatdrycreek.com
Food and Drink- The Gardens at Dry Creek
Floral design – Jill of Floral Rhapsody www.floralrhapsody.com
Cake – Keli of Sweetest Things Cake Shoppe www.sweetestthingscakeshoppe.com
Custom signs – Havenwood Rental www.weddingwire.com/havenwoodweddings
Invitation design – Tiffany Collins – www.instagram.com/adorndesigns_
Invitation printing – Pro Digital Photos – www.prodigitalphotos.com
Vintage blue getaway car – www.somethingvintagesomethingblue.com
Event planner – W Event Design – www.weventdesign.com
The wedding was absolutely gorgeous. I watched my best friend be sealed to her fella for time and all eternity in the Provo City Center temple. It was perfect. Just perfect.
Then we forgot to pack her shoes so she came out of the temple barefoot. 🙂 We shot group photos at the temple then rushed to The Gardens at Dry Creek where my ladies of W Event Design had put together a gorgeous inspiration dinner table with Jill of Floral Rhapsody. The bridal party tasted the sweet cakes of The Sweetest Things Cake Shoppe until the wedding reception started. That was my favorite part! I loved the details on the table. Absolutely gorgeous!
I had my intern Hannah Taylor by my side the entire day. We tossed my Nikon back and forth when I needed to jump into a shot. She is so talented and I’m SO happy she was there to capture the details that I couldn’t. I also had my amazing assistant Megan there. She actually ran our photo booth throughout the night. She printed out 2- 4×6 prints that the guests took as their favor and then left one behind displayed throughout the night.
The bride and groom chatted with a million and a half of their closest friends and family. They have way too many friends. 🙂
They cut their cake, she threw her bouquet, and they ran away to Thailand for their honeymoon.
I was 100% exhausted.
A HUGE thanks to all of the vendors involved. They all went above and beyond to make this wedding the event of the season!
Cutest couple EVER!
Love you guys!
Utah Wedding Photographer